Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Plants: A Growing Conversation


By Nora Seilheimer



My husband thought I was nuts for naming all of our houseplants.

Just call them what are: the fern, the peace lily, the vine-y thing in the corner, he said. They don’t need names.

Well, how else will they know we’re talking to them?

Jesus, you’re going to talk to them?

Birdie (birds nest fern) and Zenobia (zebra plant)
Truth be told, I’ve always been ashamed of my black thumb. I feared it was proof I wasn’t a grown-up yet, that I was incapable of taking care of another living being. Before we moved to New Orleans two years ago, I managed to kill every green thing in my Chicago, cave-like apartment. I could blame such deaths on the harsh winters, my broken radiator, or lack of natural light, but the common factor was me. It was always me. So when we moved to New Orleans, a much warmer, kinder climate, and into an apartment with 8-foot windows on three sides, I knew my lineup of excuses no longer applied. It was time to be an adult.

It was time to keep green things alive.

Contrary to what my husband thinks, I’m not crazy for wanting to talk to our plants. In 2009 The Royal Horticultural Society (RHS) performed a month-long study that suggests plants love a good conversation, and they prefer having them with women. (Can you blame them?)

Colin Crosbie, Garden Superintendant and leader of this RHS study, and his team hooked up headphones to the pots of ten tomato plants. Each set of headphones played either a recording of a man or a woman’s voice reading literature or scientific texts aloud. Two more tomato plants were not hooked up to headphones to act as control for the experiment. All twelve plants were of the same variety, planted in the same soil and given the same care throughout the month. After thirty days passed, the plants listening to female voices grew one inch taller than those listening to male voices. All ten plants listening to voices grew at a faster rate than the two not listening to voices, some up to three inches taller.

To bring it back to American soil, Discovery Channel’s Mythbusters performed their own experiment,
Claire (spider plant ), Jack (philodendron), and Tammy (spider plant)
but they chose to focus on plants’ response to negative talk vs. positive talk. Over the course of two months, they studied the growth of the same variety of pea plants in three identical greenhouses. In one greenhouse they played a voice recording that encouraged the pea plants and gave them compliments. In a second greenhouse they played a voice recording that insulted the pea plants and called them names. For a control, they did not play any recordings in the third greenhouse. After sixty days they found that while there was approximately equal growth in the pea plants listening to positive and negative voice recordings, they both performed better than the pea plants in the silent greenhouse. It seems that to plants, the topic of conversation is less important than the conversation itself.

But what is it about our voices that encourages plants to grow?

Researchers at South Korea’s National Institute of Agricultural Biotechnology explain that our voices are a type of sound and therefore carry their own vibration. This vibration stimulates the same genes in plants that respond to light and ignite photosynthesis, or the process by which plants turn light into energy. The vibration of our voices encourages our plants to create energy and use it to grow taller and stronger.

We just got this sansevieria a couple days ago.
We will choose a name after we get to know
them better. 
While proving my adulthood by naming and talking to my plants is supported by these studies, this initiative was not inspired by any of them. Instead this practice in naming and conversation took root in the good ol’ Golden Rule: treat others the way you wish to be treated. I know if I was a plant (for the record, I’d be a bird’s nest fern), I’d like my caretaker to give me a name and tell me about their day.

I suspect my husband would, too.

--- 

Sources used:







No comments:

Post a Comment